Many marketers launch their social media programs because they feel they need to and then scramble to understand both how they will make these work and how they will be managed. Most of them do this with no goal in mind and worse, no understanding of how social media marketing (SMM) works.
Many believe that social is the answer to customer acquisition and are short-sided in defining realistic results. Unfortunately this all results in lost time, lost customers, lost market share, and lost profitability.
Stop chasing your tail in social. Start your SMM planning right by following these five easy steps.
SMM Step 1: Create Your Executive Overview Business Plan
Spell out your business in a one-pager to realize why you need social:
- Your Business Mission and History
- Your Business or Revenue Model
- Descriptions of your Products & Services
- Details of Your Target Audience
- Review of Your Current Marketing Efforts
SMM Step 2: Define Your Specific Social Media Goals
Here are some specific SMM goals you might use after completing your business review:
- Validate a new product or service using social as a research platform.
- Develop buzz and interest around a new product.
- Engage users in social to generate relevant and targeted traffic to your site.
- Gain market share by leading customer/client service through social.
- Generate registrations to branded events through social.
SMM Step 3: Find Your SMM Voice
Choosing your social tools appropriately is an essential piece of your online communications plan, so choose wisely.
SMM Step 5: Plan & Execute Content & Delivery
What you need to define:
- Your frequency of content delivery & response to social engagement.
- Your types and specific topics for content creation.
- Ways to increase audience engagement.
- Events that can drive social.
- Your social success metrics (number of followers, number of fans, volume of traffic back to site, number of retweets, etc.).